1) T.V. is virtually unavoidable in our society. I mean it is everywhere. The doctor's office, the bank, restaurants, on your phone, computer, above urinals on bathrooms. So, know this - I will see T.V. this year - can't help it, but I will not watch it. There is a big difference.
2) T.V. is a very useful tool. I realize that the last statement in point one needs to be clarified. This past week there was winter weather moving into my area. I had a Wednesday night church service and a Thursday night seminar involving over a hundred people for which I was responsible. I kept checking the internet, but when people were telling me what the news was saying it didn't match-up to the internet. So, I watched the weather. Nothing beyond that. There will be times when I watch the weather. Our area is a tornado super-highway, so this spring when severe weather is threatening, I will be watching.
3) I have read more. Right now I am reading a biography on Dietrich Bonhoeffer. It's good!
4) I help my kids with their homework more.
5) I eat less.
6) I am exercising. (this list is making it sound like I was a selfish, curmudgeony, sloth a week ago. I wasn't. I swear.)
7) The rest of my household is watching much less T.V.
8) Christy and I talk more. (Honestly, communication has never been an issue anyway).
9) I'm not quite as anxious to get the kids to bed (but I still look forward to it - I need quiet time).
10) I am not sure how long these trends will last.
There you have it! The top ten things I notice after just one week without T.V.
By the way, please click to "follow" the blog. It just lets me know I'm not talking to myself.