21 February 2011

FIll the Space . . .

Living in a rural area, there is not a lot to do to waste time.  TV however is the perfect time killer out here, until now.  We have now entered the world of high-speed internet.  That's right our little community has made it to the 21st century.  My home was graced with this little gem just over a week ago, which if you recall, is not long after I stopped watching TV.

You may already know where this is going.  I have spent a lot of time on the internet.  I'm not watching TV shows on the web, just surfing and facebooking and then facebooking a little more.  The other night Christy and I were sitting right next to each other and had to IM each other that it's time for bed.  Man are we messed up!

That reminded me of the question, "When you give something up, what takes its place?"  Addicts of all sorts deal with this dilemma.  Smokers turn to dip, dippers begin eating sunflower seeds, alcoholics take up golf and fat people, well as a fat person, I haven't figured that one out yet.  You get the point.  While this is not a complete media fast, I don't want to just slide from 2 to 3 hours of TV per night to 2 to 3 hours of internet per night.  To me, that is pointless.

As I said when I first started this, its an experiment.  Here is a variable that wasn't a part of my original hypothesis.  Now I have to deal with it.  I don't know how yet, but I'm going to take the next week to figure it out.

I do know this, I want more of GOD, and I believe that's why this new obstacle has presented itself.  I'll let you know how its going next week.  Suggestions Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment