02 February 2011

An Experiment

I'm not the first.  To not watch T.V., that is.  People go without TV all the time.  Some by choice, others out of their lack of resources.  I think about my High School German teacher, Frau Haliburton.  She did not have cable or really watch TV.  I couldn't imagine that.  She said they had one small TV and a VCR (dating myself aren't I), but it wasn't used much.  There are millions like her, I'm sure.

As I  think about it, I realize how rich we are in America.  The fact that there would be any novelty at all for someone to forgo TV, when there are millions who cant even watch TV, let alone own one, just shows how dependent on the media Americans have become.

I will begin on Monday, February 7, 2011 and not watch again until Super Bowl 46 in 2012.  One year without TV.  Nothing Earth shattering, but something that most Americans would not do.

Why do this?  There are a number of reasons I will hash out over the course of the year, but for now lets say its because it dominates so much of my time.  I don't like that.  I am not doing this to say, "Look at me!  I'm not watching TV."  Nor am I going to belittle everyone still watching TV.  I'm not trying to preach (although I'm sure I will be preachy at times, it's what I do).  This is just an experiment that I thought would be fun to share and document.  The experiment could fail after one week, or I may make it the entire year.  Let's see together.

On Monday - I set the ground rules.  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment